This website uses cookies to help provide a better user experience. If you click “continue” without changing your settings, we'll assume you're happy to receive cookies used on the CareConfidential website — you can change cookie settings at any time.


Click here to find out more about how we use cookies
Click here to find out how to change your cookie settings



Home » Find Centre » About Us » Contact Us
* Learn more about our Helpline (0300 4000 999)
*calls cost no more than national rate and count towards any inclusive minutes in a phone contract
Online Advisor

My partner is pregnant

You may be feeling overwhelmed or isolated in this situation as most of the support provided will be for your pregnant partner. You may feel unable to cope or feel that you are too young and need extra support too.

Talk things through

It is a good idea to try and talk through your feelings about the pregnancy with your partner, whether you are together or not.
Being married doesn't automatically mean that you will find it easier to talk about things. Perhaps you feel unsure what to say to your partner. You might feel that you shouldn't say what you think. Try to be honest with each other.
By law it is a woman’s decision whether or not to have an abortion but if you are struggling to agree or talk about the pregnancy, we can help you work through your feelings as a couple or by yourself. If you feel that you would like someone else to talk to, call our Telephone Helpline on 0300 4000 999 or click here to speak to an Online Advisor.

If you are not together

If your partner chooses to keep the baby but you aren’t planning on staying together then you can still have parental responsibility for the child if you are listed on the birth certificate. You can also apply for parental responsibility after the baby is born, either with or without the mother’s consent. For more information visit

If the child only lives with one parent, you as the other parent, will be asked to pay child maintenance to help support the child financially.
A family based, private arrangement is the best way to sort out child maintenance. If you can’t agree to the terms of a private arrangement, the Child Maintenance Service has to be involved. For more information on child maintenance visit

What about adoption

If your partner wants to consider adoption then you as the other parent have to agree to the adoption too, but only if you have parental responsibility. The agency arranging the adoption must let you know what your rights, as the child’s parent are. For more information about a parents rights in the adoption process visit

Talk to us

Talking confidentially with someone who isn’t involved emotionally with your situation can help you look at all the information and your deeper feelings. If you would like to talk to one of our advisors you can call our Telephone Helpline on 0300 4000 999 or click here to speak to an Online Advisor.


Information Standard Quality Mark logo
View the evidence used for ‘My partner is pregnant’.

Information last reviewed November 2014. Next review due November 2015.

We are not able to refer directly for termination. We offer clients information on all the options and are well resourced to provide both immediate and long term support as necessary, directing to other agencies as appropriate.
HomeAbout UsContact UsConfidentialityPrivacyCookies Sitemap Telephone: 0300 4000 999
© 2008–2014 CareConfidential. Registered Charity No: 1141673 / Scottish Charity No: SC042633
  Home Page Home Page Find Help - Local Centres Find Services Contact Us